The Social Safety Initiative offers a 3 month 120 hour certification as a Public Health Trainer (PHT). As a PHT in our COVID Social Safety Education & Awareness Program you’ll gain real world community-based experience to expand your professional portfolio and community network. Our goal is to stabilize access to meaningful professional growth experiences for early public health professionals while simultaneously broadening public health safety awareness, knowledge and agency in society.
A Public Health Trainer is a systems thinker, an agent for healthy individual and societal behavior change and an advocate for community and environmental rights. You have the talent. We provide the structure, skill development and opportunity. Engage with local community leaders and business owners to empower group gathers are safe gatherings.
What is the internship?
Each internship is a 120 hour commitment spread over a 3-month block. We are attentive to matching your skill set interest to specific opportunities. Our goal is to stabilize access to meaningful professional growth experiences for early public health professionals while simultaneously broadening public health safety awareness, knowledge and agency in society.
Choose the Experience that Fits You
· Learn the foundations of public health, viral transmission, risk assessment and behavior change;
· Build your skills as a public health educator;
· Partner with community organizations, businesses and institutions;
· Learn to integrate the core tenants of health equity and community organizing;
· Learn the basics of a power analysis and the relationships of systemic oppression;
· Develop a portfolio of public health educational trainings across a diverse catalog of organizations and institutions in a region or industry (virtually or in person as safety allows);
· Engage with our Directors on current issues: ethics, policy, law, regulation, molecular biology, organizational development and healthy conflict engagement in the era of COVID and BLM;
· Develop communication skills to effectively inform diverse community groups (e.g. discourse analysis, graphic design, video tutorials, town halls, and more);
· Develop your sense of agency and resilience;
· Develop your interdisciplinary lens through listening, participating, integrating and empowering society.
SSI Public Health Educator (PHT) Internship Responsibilities
· SSI PHT certification requires a 3-month commitment of 10-hours a week (flexible scheduling);
· PHTs support a combination of 1-4 community businesses, organizations or institutions in:
- Risk assessment
- Protocol development
- Worksite training
- Worksite placarding
· Town hall trainings;
Through social safety awareness, we can increase our community’s capacity to operate safely in a COVID society. Let's empower a community-based generation of public health trainers!